16 - Pursuit

                                                                           The pencil jots glyphs 

in the hurry of its owner 

churning into a flame 

In the aftermath. 

Paper turns into ash 

It desires for its next test 

Why must it all go away in the pursuit? 

One thing I learned a lot about in how poetry transcribes itself as a message is its use of structure in communicating its message across. I always thought that there was little point in needing the seemingly arbitrary breaks in lines when I read the poem, but it greatly contributes to the tempo of the essay. Such measures give a buildup of tension that can shift throughout the poem, in order to perhaps drive the message forward. The ending is especially important in how the poem presents itself, as it must close it off in an end that makes sense.  Often the themes of the poem are punctuated at this end, as a sign of realization or better meaning. If the author directly speaks to the reader, then the use of structure greatly complements the tone, as the poem must be reminiscent of the human voice or consciousness to give the feeling of communication. 

For the poem that I wrote, I tried to give the pencil fire-like qualities in order to give the felling of a vigorous regimen being completed, but the paper being burned consequently. I wanted to try and describe my feelings of how, sometimes, when I finish my schoolwork, I quickly forget or disregard it afterwards. It is a habit that I want to try and limit in the semester, as such strategies will not work for the AP tests in May. Instead in a speeding blitz, I want to take it in an intricate waltz. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 - Self Discovery

2 - The Meaning of Patriotism

19 - Farmer